Meghan and Harry’s Staff Exodus: Four Departures Amid PR Turmoil-1

Meghan and Harry's PR Plan? Hire, Fire, Deny

By Maya Maddox • Jun 20, 2025

The Sussexes are once again making headlines — but this time, it's not for a royal event or a new initiative. Instead, a staffing crisis is unfolding behind the scenes, with four key team members, including their top communications chiefs, stepping away in June 2025. Some reports suggest the total number of departures could be as high as six, adding to the uncertainty surrounding the couple's inner circle.

This upheaval has sparked fresh questions about leadership, accountability, and the couple's management of their public image. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are said to be blaming their staff for a series of public relations setbacks, from the backlash over Meghan's Netflix show to the troubled rebranding of her lifestyle brand. Now, with a reported shift toward an agency-based PR model under new chief communications officer Meredith Maines, the Sussexes are attempting to regain control — but public skepticism remains.

4 Key Departures, or 6? Sorting the Numbers

The most recent confirmed exits include Charlie Gipson and Kyle Boulia, the Sussexes' UK and Los Angeles-based communications chiefs. Both left amid allegations that they failed to stem the tide of negative media coverage that has dogged the couple for years. While the New York Post reports four departures, The Daily Beast and other outlets mention as many as six staff members leaving, whether by resignation or dismissal.

This discrepancy highlights the opacity surrounding the Sussexes' staffing situation, with insiders reluctant to confirm exact numbers. What is clear is that the communications team has undergone a significant shakeup in recent weeks.

'Purge' or Strategic Shift? The Language of Departure

The Sussexes' new chief communications officer, Meredith Maines, said, "As the Duke and Duchess's business and philanthropic interests grow, I have made the strategic decision to move toward a more traditional communications structure of specialist agency support," as reported by The New York Post. Maines, who previously worked with companies like Google and Hulu, is leading a team of eight specialists operating across five time zones, aiming to provide faster media responses and broader international coverage.

Allegations of Blame: Who's Responsible?

Sources have alleged that Meghan and Harry tend to blame their staff for ongoing PR challenges, rather than taking responsibility themselves. A source speaking to The Sun said the couple "always blame everyone else and never themselves," adding that "no one ever seems to be good enough for them" despite repeated setbacks.

PR Woes: From Netflix to Lifestyle Branding

The Sussexes' public relations difficulties have been well documented. Meghan's Netflix cooking show faced harsh criticism in both the UK and the US, while her lifestyle brand, initially called American Riviera Orchard, encountered trademark issues that forced a rebrand to As Ever. Experts described the rebranding process as chaotic, further fueling negative media attention.

One of the new agency's first moves was to release a video of a heavily pregnant Meghan dancing in a hospital room, a clip that drew mixed reactions. While it amassed millions of views, many saw it as a clickbait attempt to regain public favor.

Agency Model: A New Direction or Damage Control?

Meredith Maines' plan to replace a small, tightly knit team with a larger agency-based structure marks a significant shift. The goal is to leverage specialist agencies to cover different regions and media markets, providing quicker responses and broader reach. This approach is common among high-profile figures but raises questions about whether the Sussexes can maintain a consistent message and personal connection with their audience.

The move also reflects the couple's expanding business and philanthropic interests, which require more complex communications management. Critics, however, suggest this shift may be more about deflecting blame than addressing underlying issues.

Public Perception: Leadership Under Scrutiny

The Sussexes' revolving door of staff and ongoing PR missteps have not gone unnoticed. Reports of Meghan's allegedly abrasive management style have circulated for years, with former employees reportedly describing a demanding work environment.

According to a previous report by Vanity Fair, a former staffer called Meghan a "'Mean Girls' teenager," adding, "she's constantly playing checkers — I'm not even going to say chess — but she's just very aware of where everybody is on her board ... And when you are not in, you are to be thrown to the wolves at any given moment," as reported by the New York Post.

Despite efforts to hire top talent, the couple appears unable to retain key personnel long enough to build a cohesive team. This pattern fuels public skepticism about their ability to manage their brand effectively and maintain a positive image.

What Lies Ahead?

As Meghan and Harry navigate this latest staffing crisis, the stakes are high. Their public image remains fragile, and the pressure to deliver a successful rebranding and media strategy is intense. The agency model under Meredith Maines offers a new path, but whether it will bring stability or merely mask deeper problems remains to be seen.

For now, the Sussexes face a critical test of leadership and accountability. Will they take responsibility for their PR challenges, or will the blame game continue as staff departures mount? The world is watching — and waiting.

References: Six More Staffers Depart Meghan and Harry's Employ | Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Lose Four Team Members Within Weeks | Meghan and Harry Brutally Axe Host of Key Aides Yet Again After Blaming Them for String of PR Humiliations | 'Undermining' Meghan Markle labeled a ''Mean Girls' teenager' by former staffer: 'Thrown to the wolves'

The National Circus team was assisted by generative AI technology in creating this content
Trending